Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pandora and Daddy-Daughter Time

I think Pandora.com is pretty darn spectacular. This musical site is basically a personalized radio station summed up in one word—SWEETNESS! And I stand by all those caps, thank you very much. What other site on the Internet can I turn to for a quick fix when my two and a half year old is shrieking at the top of her lungs? No, hands down, Pandora.com takes the prize for the most innovative approach to tantrum quashing and daddy-daughter time on the Web.

Pandora is aptly named because the site invites curious minds to dabble with various artists or musical subgenres until they strike upon a radio station that really takes tickles their fancy. I hit the gold mine yesterday with Natasha Bedingfield. I like her music, but what’s even better is that the Music Genome Project, which is behind Pandora’s streaming technology, links to so many other great songs similar in sound to her work. It was a veritable treasure trove of great artists like Jason Mraz, The Fray, Maroon 5, and many others. Pandora produced a litany of aesthetically pleasing tunes that got me in the mood for both slow dancing and crazy dancing with my lil’ Anna.

We had a grand ol’ time kicking it around the dance floor—ahem, den, I mean. Giggles galore spilled forth from the both of us. There is nothing that spells happiness like quality daddy-daughter time. We were movin and groovin. Yes, I know, you can stop LOLing now. Thompson… dancing… this conjures up so many wrong, wrong images in your mind and my own. It is a travesty to dancers everywhere the world over for me to ever consider that I have any graceful bone in my body, let alone to be numbered amongst real dancers.

I guess it would be more accurate to describe my “dancing” as a kind of amusing mix of a Richard Simmons video meets pseudo-Vanilla Ice meets Lady Gaga high on dope. Yes, that’s about right. You may now laugh. I give you permission. If you can’t laugh at yourself, especially when you are having daddy-daughter time, then you are truly missing out on life. If you have not visited the site yet, I urge you to do so. Why are you denying yourself this pleasure? It is an awesome site for music lovers. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment